Desk of Contents[Hide][Show]
Think about a world the place children fortunately keep themselves busy and learning whereas doing actions that they love and studying math on the similar time. A spot the place children compete in a pleasant approach by doing athletic actions, artistic video games, and studying books.
Sounds too good to be true, proper?
I’ve all the time heard that necessity is the mom of invention and that is definitely true of this Journey Factors concept. Ever had a type of motherhood moments the place each little one wanted one thing on the similar time, one had simply spilled a smoothie in all places and the infant wanted a diaper change?
I had a type of moments and realized that for the sake of my sanity and the children’ exercise ranges I wanted to have a plan for summer that didn’t contain them watching TV day-after-day.
We reinstitute the system each summer season or over breaks. It places my kids’ natural creative and competitive sides to work for the great of all!
What Are Journey Factors?
We have already got the “Mom I’m Bored Jar” which works rather well however is extra of a assist when they’re already bored. I wished to discover a approach to encourage them to discover actions with out losing interest within the first place.
Briefly, this can be a easy system of factors for doing artistic or athletic actions that encourages motion and creative play over TV watching. It additionally has surprisingly diminished the bickering and preventing in our home.
The thought for the identify “Journey Factors” got here from my kids’ hiking boots, which they name “Journey Boots” since they put on them for climbing, fort constructing, and different out of doors adventures.
How Journey Factors Work
I sat down with a bit of paper and considered actions I wished my children to do that summer season and assigned some extent worth to every. The children helped me brainstorm and we got here up with an enormous record of actions that they get pleasure from (that don’t contain a display screen or a snack). Issues like:
- Driving bikes (30 minutes) = 10 factors
- Pull-ups = 2 factors every
- Push-ups = 1 level every
- Swimming = (30 minutes) = 10 factors
- Drawing (30 minutes) = 5 factors
- Making ready a meal for the household = 20 factors
- Studying a ebook = 5 factors
- Studying a chapter ebook = 20 factors
- Fort-building = 20 factors per hour
- Folding origami (30 minutes) = 10 factors (Nice tutorials in this book)
- Make paper airplanes (30 minutes) = 10 factors (They love this book for ideas)
- Draw with sidewalk chalk (30 minutes) = 10 factors
- Learn to a sibling (30 minutes) = 25 factors every
- Do a chore (not on common chore record) = 10 factors
- Play Monopoly = 15 factors
- Play Scrabble = 15 factors
- Climb a tree = 5 factors per tree
- Play Battleship = 10 factors
- Play Chess = 10 factors
- Water the vegetation = 5 factors
- Play Uno = 5 factors
- Play Struggle (card recreation) = 10 factors
- Jump rope = 3 factors
- Play Apples to Apples = 10 factors
- Play hopscotch = 2 factors
- Weed backyard (30 minutes) = 10 factors
- Play a recreation of wiffle ball = 15 factors
- Run across the yard 5 occasions = 10 factors
- Leap on the trampoline for 10 minutes = 3 factors
- Do a puzzle = 20 factors
- Do 25 cartwheels = 10 factors
- Write and mail a letter to buddies or household = 10 factors
- Create a scavenger hunt for siblings = 10 factors
- Play Legos (30 minutes) = 10 factors
- Get caught doing one thing sudden and type = 50 factors bonus
- Rollerblade exterior (30 minutes) = 10 factors
- Hearken to a historical past podcast = 10 factors
- Watch a TED speak (from this list) = 10 factors
- Watch/do a lesson from Udemy or Great Courses = 15 factors
I considered about 50 actions that had been price factors and assigned values to every. Then, I made a listing of enjoyable household actions that will be good objectives for milestone factors. 100 factors would earn a healthy dessert after dinner one night time whereas 1000 factors would earn a bigger reward like a particular exercise, new artwork provides, or a contribution towards one thing they’ve been wanting. (Tip: Use belongings you plan on doing anyway! That is only a enjoyable approach for the children to earn them).
I’ve additionally discovered that the children are excited to be useful round the home once I provide “bonus factors” for doing the issues above and past their normal responsibilities.
After just a few days of utilizing the system, I made a decision to create two separate lists for older children (8+) and youthful ones (7 and underneath) to match their talent ranges because the youthful children had been being left behind by older children (who might do many extra pull-ups!).
Learn how to Implement Journey Factors
For those who’d like to do that system (and I’d extremely advocate it!), listed here are just a few suggestions for getting began:
1. Determine on Actions That Work in Your House/Yard
Make a listing of actions you’d like your children to do and break it down by age group if wanted. Work out how a lot every exercise is price within the level system you’d like to make use of and assign some extent worth to every. Be at liberty to make use of my record as a begin!
2. Determine on Rewards
Likelihood is that whereas factors are an important motivator, your children gained’t be thrilled with simply incomes factors that don’t imply something. Determine on what the factors will enable the children to do or earn and create a listing of this for the children. We attempt to focus on activities and experiences rather than stuff so our rewards had been actions, however bodily rewards may be nice too particularly if they are going to assist children be energetic or construct a life talent.
Some concepts of fabric rewards that encourage studying:
3. Observe the Factors
I noticed that the system wouldn’t encourage the unbiased artistic time I hoped for if the children needed to verify in with me each time they did an exercise to get the factors. I made a decision to make use of the respect system (which has labored rather well thus far) and get every child a small spiral notebook to trace factors. This manner, the children observe their factors every day and I simply tally as soon as a day to maintain the working totals.
I additionally created a chart to assist observe the factors for every exercise. You can download a copy for yourself here.
4. Take pleasure in Watching Your Children Study and Play!
I used to be actually hoping that creating “Journey Factors” would liberate a few of my time by stopping the refrains of “I’m bored” and “Can we watch a film.” It definitely has and I’m positively grateful for that.
I’ve discovered that much more than the free time, I’ve loved watching my children’ creativity soar and the older children play with the youthful ones extra simply since they’ve extra construction and concepts for actions (and since there’s a objective in thoughts). Additionally, conserving observe of factors has been a enjoyable and sudden math enhance for the little children as I hold listening to questions like “Does 243 plus 15 equal 258?!” 🙂
Your flip! What are some enjoyable methods you encourage creativity and exercise throughout free time at house?